Maison Bleue Le Bistrot
- Telephone 0131 447 0345
- Seasonal times Outdoor seating from spring, noon–10pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 9.30am–3pm, 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 5–7pm
- Average price £9.90 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.50
- Website maisonbleuerestaurant.com
A charming, great-looking French/North African/Scottish Morningside eatery.
A high-five to the interior designers of this Morningside restaurant, with its clever mix of exposed brickwork here and bar stools, intimate buttoned-velvet booths and neon sign there. With plenty of pavement space for its seasonal outdoor terrace on its street corner, the whole set-up exudes a relaxed French vibe. The food is a melting pot of French, North African and Scottish influences, so expect everything from tagines to deep-fried haggis balls to deftly cooked lamb with saffron couscous. A peppery starter of camembert fondue is a good start, as is 'surprise' calamari, made to a secret recipe with a chilli bite. There’s always a fresh fish of the day, as well as classic steaks and a couple of veggie options for good measure. Puddings venture into the classics – think crème brulée, sticky toffee pudding, or crumble. Set lunch and dinner options are very reasonably priced and should satisfy event the fussiest of eaters.
- High point: Great décor and service
- Low point: More French pudding options, please
- Notable dish: Lamb tagine
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2016 April
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle