Salt Horse Beer Shop & Bar
- Telephone 0131 558 8304
- Opening times Shop: Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12:30–10pm.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 4pm–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12:30pm–midnight.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.salthorse.beer
A beer bar turned bottle shop that holds its own as a cask ale heavyweight in the city.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Replacing Blackfriars in the spaces also once occupied by Black Bo's, Salt Horse have responded to the challenge of the dual unit with a bar and beer shop combo. Despite being 50 paces from the Royal Mile there's no danger of tartan tatification: this is hard-core craft beer and artisan food chic. The bar has 12 rotating keg lines with all the latest tipples and trends, while you can also browse something from the strong mix of UK and imported bottles and cans next door. The shop sells takeaway bread, cheese and pies, while the bar serves charcuterie and/or cheese boards featuring small-scale producers such as Eyemouth's Hammond or Girvan's Barwhey's, house-made pickles and bar snacks such as jerky or tins of anchovies.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Casual indie and enjoyable folk
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10