Salt Horse Beer Shop & Bar
- Telephone 0131 558 8304
- Opening times Shop: Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12:30–10pm.
- Bar open Bar: Mon–Thu 4pm–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight. Shop: Mon–Thu 4–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu 4–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Website www.salthorse.beer
A beer bar turned bottle shop that holds its own as a cask ale heavyweight in the city.
The spot on Blackfriars Street where Salt Horse now stands has been a notable one since the days of the rough, ready and very popular Black Bo’s. While the new incumbent is in many ways the opposite of the old Bo’s – neat, tidy and with decidedly upmarket appeal – the basic mission of going out to enjoy a beer in convivial surroundings hasn’t changed. Except now Salt Horse has more than 300 of them to choose from, either in two-thirds of a pint glasses from one of the twelve regularly changing beer taps or in bottles or cans from the attached beer shop next door, which also has a section of more café-style seating. The kitchen has been outsourced to burger company Meat Stack, who do a short and simple but effective list of beef burgers (paneer is the vegetarian option). These are rare beasts indeed, in that they aren't stacked higher than a human mouth can open. Brie-topped hot buffalo wings and beef dripping fries fill up on the side for a very reasonable price.
- Delivery: Through Deliveroo or Uber Eat.
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 35 in the bar; 20 in the shop; 24 outside.
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £18 red, £22 white. per bottle