Salt Horse Beer Shop & Bar
- Telephone 0131 558 8304
- Opening times Shop: Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12:30–10pm.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 4pm–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12:30pm–midnight.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.salthorse.beer
A beer bar turned bottle shop that holds its own as a cask ale heavyweight in the city.
Half bottle shop, half bar, Salt Horse is a lively new addition to the ever-expanding craft beer scene in Edinburgh. With 12 keg lines of foreign and domestic beer it's a great place for fans of barley and hops – although sometimes the choice can be a little overwhelming (try checking the blackboard for the picks of the day if that sounds like you). Wine and spirit drinkers have a small but high-quality selection to choose from. If you’re after a bite with your booze there is a small, unfussy menu courtesy of BBQ specialist Jones & Son, which includes bar favourites such as pulled pork, spicy wings and burgers. If you want to escape the busy Royal Mile with a stylish city centre drink, this Blackfriars beer haven is well worth adding to your little black book.
- High point: Cosy, casual atmosphere
- Low point: Possibly too much beer choice!
- Notable dish: Buffalo wings
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Casual indie and enjoyable folk
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10