Tony Singh at Apex Grassmarket
- Telephone 0131 300 3456
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Food served noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.apexhotels.co.uk/apex-grassmarket-hotel/…
Sitting in the shadows of the castle, Singh’s street-food restaurant celebrates his 25 years of experience with an explosive menu.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Those that managed to take time out of their busy 2015 Edinburgh Festival schedule to grab a bite to eat, may well have come across Tony Singh’s pop-up at the Apex hotel in the Grassmarket. Now he’s back, with a menu that captures the madness of the festival, all year round. Think fish tacos rolling in on ‘taco trucks’, Wagyu beef burgers with truffled onions and fries covered in lashings of Tony’s own chicken Tikka Massala. All this before you've even had a chance to glance at the nostalgic ice cream floats and boozy childhood sweetie dessert cocktails. The drinks list is less adventurous and hosts only one Scottish brewer, Harviestoun – strange for a restaurant that boasts about its Scottish roots – although wine drinkers have a more varied choice. Décor feels a little bland, but with a spruce up it could reflect Tony’s playful take on sharing food and offer a pretty exciting dining experience for those bored of the Grassmarket’s tourist traps.
- High point: Friendly bunch of staff.
- Low point: Prices are a bit cheeky considering portion sizes are small
- Notable dish: Spiced lamb kebab with mint & coriander sauce and tamarind dressing.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle