Tony Singh at Apex Grassmarket
- Telephone 0131 300 3456
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £9 (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.apexhotels.co.uk/apex-grassmarket-hotel/…
Sitting in the shadows of the castle, Singh’s street-food restaurant celebrates 25 years' of experience with an explosive menu.
You have a hotel. It’s in the heart of one of the busiest streets of one of the best dining cities in the world. How do you entice your guests to use your restaurant? Perhaps a partnership with well-known TV chef will do the trick? Bingo! Tony Singh’s eponymous restaurant at the Apex Grassmarket is a bright, airy, colourful room with seriously killer views to the castle and its sharing concept is spot-on for a casual, any-time meal. Some of the food delivers Singh's promised mash-up of culture and flavour: fish koftas are crunchy, salty little balls and a Scotch egg is impressively runny. But some dishes don’t quite make the grade and it’s hard to decide if it’s a failure of execution or concept. Fries (excellent) come with gravy (excellent) and so-called poutine – big chunks of bland, unmeltable cheese (not excellent) and tandoori-glazed momos, Josper-grilled to within an inch of their life, have a ginormous identity crisis for such wee dumplings. Still, it’s a good-natured sunny spot for a quick lunch, especially if you enjoy having to checking the menu to identify your food when it arrives at the table.
- High point: Most excellent views
- Low point: Extremely limited, bland selection of soft drinks
- Notable dish: Signature haggis pakora
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Free Haggis Pakora at Tony Singh at Apex Grassmarket
Quote ‘The List’ to enjoy one portion of Haggis Pakora per table, per visit.