- Telephone 0131 228 9149
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas: expect later opening hours
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Website www.50mls.co.uk/carters/
Recently refurbished Haymarket bar with a good line in Scottish beers and gins.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Once a comfortably old-fashioned snug on Morrison Street which paid vague homage to the Michael Caine film ‘Get Carter’, Carters has moved with the times (and the rapidly up-and-coming Haymarket area around it). Built over two cosy split-levels, with the mezzanine hanging low over much of the bar, its makeover is both classic and contemporary. By the bar there are swivelling stools, mosaic floor tiles and padded knee rests, while behind the brick is fashionably stripped-back and the beer and gin ranges in particular are well-stocked. Six beer taps include three guests drawn exclusively from around Scotland – including Alechemy, Barney’s, Pilot, Stewart’s and Harviestoun – as well as a range of 15 all-Scottish gins and a decent selection of whiskies.
- High point: Well stocked with Scottish beers.
- Low point: No food.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £16 per bottle