The Wee Restaurant Edinburgh
- Telephone 0131 225 7983
- Seasonal times Mon–Fri noon–10pm during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 6–9pm; Sat till 5pm
- Average price £16 (set lunch); £28.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16
- Website www.theweerestaurant.co.uk
Deftly executed French/Scottish cooking in stately New Town surroundings.
Now in its second year of operation, this offshoot of the long-established and well-regarded Wee Restaurant in North Queensferry has firmly settled into the New Town’s dining landscape. The compact room is neatly laid out with two window tables commanding the best views. The concise menu is French-leaning but with an abundance of Scottish produce and has recently moved to a set-price format (though their Black Isle-sourced chargrilled steaks do incur a supplement). To start, the time-honoured pairing of seared scallops and boudin noir is accompanied by a delicious celeriac remoulade and endive salad, while chicken liver parfait with toasted brioche and fruit chutney is excellent. A main of venison haunch with Puy lentils and a confit onion cassoulet (pinched from that day’s bargain-priced and regularly updated menu du jour) is trumped by a flawlessly executed grilled sea bass with Thai broth, noodles and calamari. The dessert menu won’t take long to peruse with just three classics featured, plus the obligatory Iain Mellis cheeseboard. The l’Art du Vin-curated wine list is Old World-heavy and offers a decent selection at realistic prices.
- High point: Attentive, personable staff from start to finish
- Low point: Short menu not great for veggies
- Notable dish: Shetland mussels with parmesan, bacon, nuts and cream
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2016 April
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £20.25 per bottle