The Wee Restaurant Edinburgh
- Telephone 0131 225 7983
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–2pm, 6–9pm; Sat noon–9.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Fri noon–2pm; Tue–Thu 6–9pm, Sat noon–5pm.
- Pre-theatre price £16 (menu du jour)
- Website www.theweerestaurant.co.uk
Deftly executed French-Scottish cooking in stylish New Town surrounds.
Craig and Vikki Wood’s ethos is to serve simple, good food in a relaxed atmosphere. With possibly the comfiest dining chairs in Edinburgh – which make tucking into their deftly executed Scottish cooking all the more enjoyable – this family-run restaurant (complete with waiter son) more than fulfils that promise. It ticks all the boxes for any stylish bistro, with a blackboard boasting local gins and lagers hanging on dusky walls, illuminated by luxe brass fittings. It’s a suitably elegant destination for date night, but spacious enough for larger gatherings. A bed of crunchy Asian vegetables comes topped with plenty of delicately breaded calamari, zinging with splatters of chilli and coriander dressing. This generous starter joins a beautifully tender Iberico pork steak main in diverting from the menu’s dependable Scottish offering, which ranges across the likes of Black Isle steak, Scottish king scallops, Shetland mussels and wholesome fishcakes. Wash it all down with accessibly priced L’art Du Vin wines and feel regret that you've not discovered the Wee Restaurant’s charms before.
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Acoustic chill
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2016 April
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £21 per bottle