The Wee Restaurant Edinburgh
- Telephone 0131 225 7983
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–2pm, 6–9pm; Fri noon–2pm, 6–9pm; Sat noon–9.30pm; Sun noon–2pm, 6–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat noon–2pm; Tue–Thu 6–9pm.
- Pre-theatre price £16 (menu du jour)
- Website www.theweerestaurant.co.uk
Deftly executed French/Scottish cooking in stylish New Town surroundings.
Contrary to the diminutive name above the shimmering fairy-lit windows, the Wee Restaurant is surprisingly spacious. The elegant dining room features dark-hued walls, copper highlights, and the most comfortable leather dining chairs which wouldn’t look out of place in Don Draper’s office. The regularly tweaked set menu demonstrates a strong emphasis on local and seasonal produce and presents bistro staples such as mussels and steak alongside a cast of frequently changing players. Seared king scallops arrive atop a luscious squid ink risotto, the buttery shellfish delicately caramelised and complemented by deeply flavoursome rice. Mains include roasted cod fillet with crab linguine or Iberico pork cooked with minimal fuss, allowing the succulent meat do all the talking – only the overly bitter accompanying roasted padron peppers jar. The wine list, curated by Fife based L’art Du Vin, features a good range of competitively priced new and old-world tipples to satisfy newcomers and regulars at this stylish city centre destination.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Subtle sounds
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2016 April
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £20.25 per bottle