Badger and Co
Kenneth Grahame was born here, so what could be more fitting than a bar dedicated to badgers and co?
With walls adorned with opulently dressed badgers and décor harking back to the heyday of Georgian Edinburgh, Badger and Co pays homage to the inhabitants of the Wild Wood and riverbank featured in Kenneth Grahame’s The Wind in the Willows. As the birthplace and former home of the author, 32 Castle Street has undergone a metamorphosis into a chic New Town establishment with the charm of Grahame’s characters peeking through the bar’s elegance. The stylish yet unassuming interior is matched by the menu which includes an uncomplicated but effective choice of dishes and intriguing cocktails, with titles like Badger’s Java and Pimm's in the Willows. The various pies on offer, as well as the desserts, are particularly well executed. In keeping with the characters that inspire it, Badger and Co is an ideal spot for a more sophisticated affair or formal get-together.
- High point: Wind in the Willows-themed cocktails
- Low point: The price of the drinks
- Notable dish: Grilled fillet of seabass
- Private dining: 12 seated, 25 standing
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Upbeat contemporary music
- Capacity: 240 (25 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £18 per bottle