Texan barbecue pit food and other smoky US treats are the speciality of this latest branch of a chain from Yorkshire.
This cavernous city centre venue – part of a chain with two other branches in Leeds and Sheffield – contributes to the growing number of places that cater for the Glaswegian love of smoky, meaty feasts. A brutal, utilitarian aesthetic abounds, with food served on metal trays giving a slight post-apocalyptic feel to the dining experience. There’s a spacious bar area for some interesting US beers and cocktails, and an open-plan kitchen with sizzling grills wafting out enticing scents of spiced meats. Smoke BBQ does casual crowd-pleasing well. With impressive portions sizes that verge on the ridiculous – Fred Flintstone would be impressed by the enormous trays groaning with ribs, chops, wings and other barbecue favourites that make up their pit plates, this is definitely one for hungry cavemen who enjoy a cold beer and a stack of hot wings.
- High point: Generous portions will fill even the hungriest carnivore
- Low point: Metal trays instead of plates are a bit too 'prison chic'
- Notable dish: Pit plates
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: indie
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £17 per bottle