This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 552 2111
- Opening times Tue–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri 11am–midnight; Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 10am–10pm; Closed Mon.
- Bar open Tue–Sun 11.30–1am.
- Food served Tue–Sun 11.30am–2.30pm, 5.30–9.30pm; closed Mon.
- Average price £22 (lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.sassoedinburgh.com
Shows all the signs of becoming a favourite local for all ages.
Named for Abruzzo’s famous Gran Sasso mountains, this pleasant spot does feel slightly like a mountain chalet, with a lengthy bar area blending into a main dining room accented with a mountainous mural and an inglenook fireplace. But what really stands out is the people. Ernesto warmly welcomes each guest, clearly wishing to make newcomers feel part of the family. Despite only opening in March 2016 there is already a feeling of a soon-to-be-favourite local around the place, while the menu also brings a smile. Homemade gnocchi with gorgonzola and radicchio is piled glistening high on the plate. The popular linguine ai fruitti di mare crowds mussels, clams, prawns and calamari into a sauce of cherry tomato with a chilli edge. Crispy pizza abounds, or try a more substantial main such as the venison loin with vanilla celeriac. Crowd-pleasingly traditional Italian puddings complete a jolly meal.
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: R&B, pop
- Capacity: 56
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle