The Story Café
- Telephone 0131 558 1333
- Seasonal times Open later during the Festival and on performance evenings.
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–5pm; open until 9pm during performances at the centre. Closed Sun.
- Website storycafe.co.uk
Homely, child-friendly café based in the Scottish Storytelling Centre and run by local social enterprise Comas.
The Story Café at the Scottish Storytelling Centre is managed by Comas, a charity supporting people with health, mental health and social problems. It both provides work for the individuals the charity supports and raises much-needed funds for its work. The menu is a winning blend of the contemporary and the traditional, complementing the artistic programme in this much-loved landmark. From the daily changing blackboard menu Cullen skink has thick chunks of fish and a pleasingly coarse potato texture, while beef brisket stovies are outstandingly tender. Look out for weekly highlights like slow-braised lamb rogan josh, avocado or black pudding with poached egg on toast, plus filled morning rolls and a good range of vegan or gluten-free scones and traybakes.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Storytelling and music etc
- Capacity: 35 (8 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2016 (as Comas Story Cafe)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14 per bottle