- Telephone 0131 226 2132
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8am–6pm; Sat 9am–6pm; Sun 9.30am–6pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–6pm; Sun 9.30am–6pm.
- Average price £6 (coffee & cake)
- Website www.facebook.com/lowdowncoffee
Minimalist décor showcasing single-origin espresso and filter coffee with craft and creativity.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The interior of this George Street basement coffee shop, conceived by Edinburgh-based Gregor Borwn of Lluc Design, is a super-sleek affair. It eschews the bare-brick industrial chic of many of its counterparts for a more polished, elegant look, including some smart seating and top-end finishes. In keeping with the minimalist surroundings, the food choice is fairly sparse, focusing on some hot savoury choices and a carefully curated selection of some of the best in local baking, including treats from Suki Bakes. Coffee and tea are both given due consideration here, with plenty of different brew choices including Postcard Teas’ cleverly sourced concoctions and coffee from ultra-cool Swedish roasters Koppi.
- Notable dish: Coffee
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 16 (approx.)
- Open since: 2016