- Telephone 0131 221 0459
- Opening times Tue–Fri 10am–5pm; Sat & Sun 10am–8pm; Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Fri 11am–5pm; Sat 11am–11pm; Sun noon–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £9 (lunch); £36 (Sat and Sun only)
- Website www.fb.com/deadlydonuts
Marchmont café making a go of fresh, indulgently dressed doughnuts, with a chef’s touch showing through.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Best knowing that ‘deadly’ is considered a compliment in owner Freddie Spindler’s native Tayside: think of it as synonymous with wicked. It’s probably a truth that you can’t take doughnuts deadly seriously: they’re never going to be anything other than an indulgence even among sweet treats. That said, made freshly and with care they’re a million miles from supermarket alternatives. Also, the flavour possibilities are endless: you can go classic with sugar, or sophisticated with honeycomb and burnt butter icing, or give the tastebuds a joyride with a maple cream and bacon (yup, real bacon). Spindler, a classically trained chef with experience in European kitchens of some renown, set up this small unit in Marchmont in 2015 with few frills: a coffee machine sends out brews from Ayrshire’s Roundsquare roasters, there are a handful of mixed tables and chairs, and the décor mixes reclaimed chic with bric-a-brac. Doughnuts, made each day in the back kitchen and not sold elsewhere, are the mainstay: there are also bagels (an obvious hole-some partner) and, starting in spring 2016, a chance to engage with Spindler's cheffing past with multi-plate ‘Deadly Nights’ on Saturday and Sunday evenings, at a fixed price with BYOB available.
- High point: Killing me sweetly
- Low point: Do nut touch more than one at a single sitting
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk, disco, hip hop, house and reggae
- Capacity: 20
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2015
- BYOB: (BYOB for Sat and Sun dinners)
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Dinner At Deadly Donuts
Enjoy a regularly changing seven course tasting menu made with fresh seasonal produce in an intimate setting for up to 20 guests. Vegetarian and vegan options available. BYOB.