Poco Havana Bar and Cantina
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 353 6098
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am
- Food served Sun–Wed noon–9pm; Thu–Sat noon–10pm
- Average price £7.95 (2 tapas, bread); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.pocohavana.com
A Cuban-themed bar and kitchen serving food, cocktails and beer from the Caribbean, South America, Mexico, and beyond.
A shabby-chic basement bar and cantina, newcomer Poco Havana rocks the retro rum-shack look and garish colours that wouldn't look amiss on a Caribbean beach. The menu, split into sections, covers far greater ground than Cuba alone, with nods to the cuisines of Spain, Jamaica and Mexico. Tacos, burritos and fajitas come with a choice of tequila lime steak, chipotle chicken, Bay of Pigs pulled pork or battered fish. Elsewhere ‘pollo’ dishes include a glazed quarter chicken, Jamaican Me Crazy jerk drumsticks and a chicken and chorizo stew. Salads and burgers are served with a Caribbean spin, and salsas, chipotle mayo and guacamole all feature heavily. Ever-ubiquitous tapas plates are also an option for those who like to share, such as bistec con chimichurri – Galician Padrón peppers and baked haddock with pineapple and mint salsa. A well-selected beer list spans Scotland, Spain and the Americas from north to south. Gracing the cocktail list are a half-dozen mojitos, a handful of tequila-based shakes, and numerous rum numbers, allowing you to quench even the most tropical of thirsts.
- High point: Ample choice in the drinks department
- Low point: Menu could benefit from some refinement
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul, funk and jazz
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20 spread over several tables
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle