- Telephone 0131 650 1100
- Bar open Sun–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–10pm (brunch 10am–noon).
- Average price £15.50 (lunch); £15.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.southpour.co.uk
The shabby but lovable old Reverie has been replaced by a new and efficient bar which seems geared towards dining service.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Following a takeover by Glasgow’s G1 Group, the charming and very traditional Southside corner bar Reverie has had a comprehensive makeover. It’s now Southpour, although in contrast to the name’s implication, it feels very much like an informal restaurant first and a local boozer second. The curved floor-to-ceiling windows give an atmospheric view out over Newington Road, and inside the service is just as bustling. Early indications are that it’s proving an extremely popular spot for local diners, and the uniformed waiting staff remain rushed off their feet during evening service. The choice is diverse and inventive, from starters of nduja sausage scotch egg or crabcakes with chilli and tomato jam to mains like a crisp pork belly served with apple pudding and mash or a simple but well-prepared bowl of moules frîtes, the chips chunkily homemade. The brunch menu similarly fuses eclecticism and familiarity (smoked kippers and poached eggs sit alongside sweetcorn nori), while those few who visit just for a drink will find strong wine and craft beer choices.
- High point: Efficient food service in a bar built mainly for dining
- Low point: Lovers of the shabbily intimate old Reverie may be disappointed
- Notable dish: Short rib and brisket burger with pastrami, pickles, buffalo mozzarella, pretzel bun and fries
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Acoustic music every Friday, live band every Saturday.
- Capacity: 75 seated, 95 standing
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle