Cosy neighbourhood bar and restaurant specialising in brunch, small plates, à la carte dining, craft beer and cocktails.
Situated in a somewhat student heavy corner of the city, Southpour is a more grown-up bar-come-bistro in the heart of Newington. A menu featuring some interesting twists on old classics – nduja sausage with a scotch egg; or a brunch dish of sweetcorn nori, fritters, slow-roasted tomato and ricotta – combined with a fine selection of cocktails, craft beers and wine makes for a sophisticated pub dining experience. Aptly titled ‘fill up’ main course portion sizes are seriously hefty, but there’s a good mix of starters and salads plus six ‘wee snack plates’ if you’re not too hungry. Most wines are available by the glass, and are modestly priced, though still good quality, and there’s a short cocktail list plus a nice array of Scottish gins if spirits are more your thing.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: eclectic easy listening
- Live entertainment: Acoustic music every Friday, live band every Saturday.
- Capacity: 75 seated, 95 standing
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £17 per bottle