The Spiritualist Bar & Restaurant
- Telephone 0141 248 4163
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am-midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am-10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 4–6.45pm
- Average price £12 (lunch); £26 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website thespiritualistglasgow.com
Sumptuous bistro-bar with a show-stopping spirit selection that's an undeniably class act.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This sophisticated newcomer features elegant up-lit table tops, muted blue and cream tones and a grand piano. It’s impossible not to be transfixed by a gantry so big that staff require a ladder to navigate it. Unsurprisingly it contains a range of rare rums, gins and tequilas hard to surpass, while the luxurious menu – based on partnerships with quality Scottish suppliers – features venison, veal and rabbit. Dishes are exquisitely presented, skilfully executed and bursting with flavour, none more so than rabbit stuffed with langoustine. It shouldn’t work but does – brilliantly. If a digestif is required, perhaps after a rich osso buco with tender broad beans, splash out on 20-year-old El Dorado rum on the rocks. For those wishing to get up close and personal, there’s an innovative opportunity to book a private dining booth tucked into the corner, offering the chance to watch chefs at work.
- High point: Mouthwatering mains
- Low point: Music could be more adventurous
- Notable dish: Leg of rabbit stuffed with langoustines
- Private dining: Up to 8 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: easy listening
- Live entertainment: Piano player and vocalist Fri–Sun; DJ Fri/Sat night
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: March 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle