Brandon's of Canonmills
- Telephone 0131 558 7080
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri 11am–1pm; Sat 10am–1pm; Sun 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9.30pm; Sat/Sun 10am–9.30pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website brandonsofcanonmills.tumblr.com
One of the most impressively all-purpose pubs in Edinburgh, serving brunch, lunch, dinner, wine, cocktails and rotating craft beer casks.
Taken over in early 2016 by the owners of Redmond’s of Dennistoun in Glasgow, this bright but slightly out-of-the-way local bar has evolved into one of the most impressively all-purpose pubs in Edinburgh. As a quality dining destination, it’s comprehensive. Brunch is served at weekends from 10am to 4.30pm and takes in everything from Balearic poached eggs with sobrassada to salt beef hash with potato, poached egg and sriracha sauce. To lunch – short rib burger and fries; a light miso broth with mushroom, pak choi and poached egg; or fluffy bao buns with a range of fillings, including Puddledub pork belly or seasoned halloumi cheese. Meanwhile, the dinner menu swaggers through distinctive meat and fish plates with confidence, from Galician beef carpaccio to a Goan fish curry. Excellent teas, coffees, wines, cocktails and rotating beer casks mean this is a bar worth making your local, wherever you live.
- High point: The range and quality of food dishes is excellent
- Low point: Road noise from the busy junction outside is mildly distracting
- Notable dish: Spiced halloumi, avocado and pineapple bao bun with a side of truffle fries.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle