- Telephone 0131 228 8688
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–3pm & 5pm–10pm.
- Food served Sun–Thu 12noon–10pm; Fri–Sat 12noon–11pm
- Average price Buffet price ranges from £8.99 - £13.99 depending on day/time (set lunch)
- Website www.chinaredbuffet.com
Stylish new Chinese buffet restaurant with over 40 tempting dishes, offering great value in the heart of the city.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Brand new out of the box for 2016, China Red’s new venture at Grindlay Street (opposite the Lyceum Theatre) is a stylish, modern Chinese buffet restaurant. With the feel of a swish bar – low lighting and a range of enticing cocktails – it’s a little bit different and perhaps not quite what you might expect from the traditional all-you-can-eat. Two large oval islands in the centre contain over 40 dishes, from tender duck to tangy chicken curry, beef in a spicy black bean sauce to satay chicken. The options are endless and the temptation to refill your plate again and again is hard to resist. The quality of food is high and attentive staff regularly rotate around the restaurant ensuring the dishes are hot and fresh. If you fancy something sweet to finish you’re well served here, with options including rocky road, chocolate muffins, carrot cake, mango sorbet or ice-cream. Or why not all of the above – no one’s judging, right?
- High point: Wide variety of dishes and good value
- Low point: Getting up and down so much reduces the sense of occasion
- Notable dish: Chicken in black bean sauce with egg fried rice
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop chart music
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 150
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £12.80 per bottle