Friendly, laid-back café with freshly cooked brunches and lunches and a great selection of drinks.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
An airy L-shaped room with a charming array of higgledy-piggledy tables and chairs, Cobbs is an off-shoot of an Inverness family firm that boasts hotel and bakery outlets. Tucked off the main Marchmont Road drag in student central, brunch is served until 3pm and runs from proper porridge to a full-on bacon, sausage and haggis feast. Eggs benedict are nicely done with lightly cooked spinach and a tangy hollandaise. Soups, sandwiches and more substantial dishes are served until 5.30pm, with decent options for vegetarian and vegan diners. There are cakes and scones aplenty and a long list of organic, fair-trade teas and unusual soft drinks and smoothies. A brand-new coffee roaster is waiting at the back of the café to start producing delicious aromas and tastes.
- High point: Combines individuality with good customer care
- Low point: Some décor is looking a bit tired
- Notable dish: Eggs benedict
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz; easy listening
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2014