Obu Pan Asian
- Telephone 0141 221 7044
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri–Sat noon–10.30pm
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–9.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 5–7pm; Fri 5–6.30pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.obupanasian.co.uk
Located at the eating heart of Princes Square, Obu offers food from across Asia and a comprehensive international drinks list.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Obu, offering all that is popular and delectable in Pan Asian cuisine, is the latest addition to the Princes Square food court. Stylish black, red and white menus cherry pick from across Asia and clearly signal vegetarian, gluten-free and chilli-hot options. The take on Pan Asian food includes India in the mix with a curry pot section representing Japan, Thailand, North and South India. The Thai red fish curry comes brimming with prawns and firm fleshed coley in a sauce that is sweet with coconut and piquant with lime and garlic although not as chilli-hot as suggested by the menu’s double red chilli logo. Gyozas and baos work very well as starters or light snacks, while the Japanese tofu salad or the sticky beef salad are tasty one-bowl salad lovers’ delights. The drinks menu offers easy-drinking cocktails such as Japanese plum sour as well as 14 judiciously selected wines by the glass. Lunch and pre-theatre menus are outstanding value; a group of diners with varied tastes in Asian food and a love of cocktails and wine cannot go wrong with Obu.
- High point: Convenient for cravers of Asian flavours
- Low point: Some dishes light on spicing
- Notable dish: Thai red fish curry
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Back ground asian influenced pop
- Capacity: 74 (34 in mall area]
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £17 per bottle