- Telephone 0131 443 8883 / 0131 443 8887
- Food served Mon–Fri 11am–3pm, 5–10.30pm; Sat/Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £8.99 (set lunch); £14.99 (set evening meal)
- Website www.chinaredbuffet.com
All-you-can-eat pan-Asian cuisine conveyor-belted to your seat.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Belly rumbling? Got a brood of starving kids to feed? Over-imbibed last night? China Red will do you proud. It’s all-you-can-eat but with a difference: you sit at a booth as a double decker conveyor belt trains a selection of dishes by – hot mains on the top level, cold starters and desserts below – for self service. The belt’s trip is a 9-minute odyssey that dishes up Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Thai fare (though Eton Mess and pepperoni pizza chunt by as well, suggesting a pleasingly borderless attitude to the food’s origins). Flavours tend towards the broad – king prawns in sweet and sour sauce don’t stint on the sweet, beef in black pepper sauce packs a pleasingly fiery punch. Salmon sashimi is plump and fresh and markedly better than many sushi joints in town. Nothing is precisely remarkable, but everything tastes fresh and gratifying, a rarity for buffets. Soft drinks are bottomless, waiters attentive, surroundings modern, and there’s soft-serve ice-cream you can be-deck with Ice Magic chocolate for pudding. A cheerily abundant treat.
- High point: Something to please almost every palate
- Low point: Deep-fried food grows soggy on the conveyor belt
- Notable dish: Beef with black pepper
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rihanna and pop hits
- Live entertainment: Karaoke booths available upstairs
- Capacity: 108
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £13.30 per bottle