Café 1505 @ Surgeonshall
- Telephone 0131 527 1686
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–6.30pm.
- Average price £8.50 (set lunch); £6.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk/cafes/…
Café next to Surgeons’ Hall offering healthy, nutritious lunches, with their own beer and sausage rolls just the tonic.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Café 1505 on Nicolson Street opened in summer 2015. It is owned by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh who are based across the courtyard, in architect William Playfair’s temple-like Surgeons Hall. Inside the café, on white walls with designs of botanical leaves and berries, a timeline tracks 500 years of College history right up to the museum’s refurbishment last year. The daily-changing menu’s theme is health and nutrition, serving sunny, punchy vegetarian and vegan soups, sandwiches and salads of leaves, grains, shoots, roots and fruits, beside inventive sausage rolls and dairy and gluten-free options, all proudly made from scratch. There’s good value lunch combos to sit-in or take away, or plump for heftier beef stew or stuffed Cajun potato skins, and cakes like a deliciously rich vegan dark chocolate, berry and fondant gateau. Café 1505 also exclusively stocks a light, crisp 1505 Ale infused with liquorice root, bitter orange peel, coriander seeds and cardamom pods, brewed in East Lothian to an 18th-century recipe.
- High point: Delectable dishes for vegans, vegetarians and carnivores
- Low point: Cakes could be hit or miss
- Notable dish: Pork, sage, cranberry and brie sausage roll
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £17 per bottle