Café 1505 @ Surgeonshall
- Telephone 0131 527 1686
- Seasonal times From April: 8am–8pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–6.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 4pm–7pm; Sun 4pm–6pm
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
- Pre-theatre price £10
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk/cafes/…
Café next to Surgeons’ Hall offering healthy, nutritious lunches, with their own beer and sausage rolls just the tonic.
Boasting its own craft beer with flavours of liquorice, bitter orange and cardamom, Café 1505 is conscientiously putting in the effort to create a menu that sticks out among the city throng of cafés. An ethical bias when it comes to sourcing produce, along with a well-conceived lineup of lunch and dinner options certainly make it a good contender. Lunch ranges from a lamb hot pot served with a side of couscous and beetroot to a homely butternut squash, coconut milk and chilli soup. Everything is cooked from scratch. Seasonal salads and an array of tray bakes clearly keep a crowd of regulars returning from local offices and the nearby university buildings. Positioned neatly to the side of the architecturally imposing Royal College of Surgeons, the café itself sadly doesn’t exploit its impressive surrounds but its bright contemporary interior is nevertheless a vibrant venue for lunch or a pre-theatre meal.
- High point: An ethical and creative approach
- Low point: Not much elbow room.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £15 per bottle