- Telephone 0131 527 1686
- Opening times Noon–5.30pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: open til 10pm daily. Open til 7.30pm on selected nights before shows at The Festival Theatre.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5.30pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5.30pm.
- Website www.surgeonsquarter.com/about/…
One way system in place. Outdoor seating only. Reusable cups temporarily banned.
Last updated: 3 August 2020
Café in Surgeons Quarter known for elevating humble lunch options to delicious favourites.
From the outside, Café 1505 appears a little underwhelming in relation to its Surgeons Quarters neighbours. But behind the discreet entrance you’ll find a lunch spot that is working hard to serve every facet of the Newington community. Students seeking a library alternative, families taking advantage of the 10% café discount offered if you explore the Surgeons’ Hall Museum beforehand, and weary Fringe performers in need of comfort food and calm flock here. Customers are treated to changing daily specials such as Moroccan lamb tagine, a fragrant dish of tender, slow-cooked lamb in a rich and fruity sauce. The gentle heat from a bowl of butternut squash soup is a delicious way to thaw off on a cold day and, if you choose to sit in, you can enjoy all of this while reading the fascinating timeline of the medical institution’s history that snakes along the walls.
Ethical cafe on Nicolson Street where profits go towards improving access to surgery and saving lives around the world. Serving healthy lunches and delicious treats.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled indie/pop
- Live entertainment: Attached to a museum, Fringe venue and meeting space.
- Capacity: 38 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £19 per bottle