- Telephone 0141 555 6144
- Food served Mon–Sun 5–11.30pm
- Average price £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.tasty-at-alea.com
Nostalgic nosh from around the globe for the comfort-seeking and sweet-toothed in a funky dining room within a curious casino setting.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The big personality of Scottish celebrity chef Tony Singh is stamped all over Tasty, from the photos of Tony mugging with various ingredients to the couthy wording of the menu. The idea is simple: marry the best of Scotland’s produce with comfort food from around the globe to create the ultimate feel-good dinner. ‘Bits Tae Share’ can be starters or combined tapas-style and include steamed buns with pickles, haggis pakora, neeps and tatties, quesadilla and poutine. Individual dishes are decent, although it’s hard to find a combination that sits well together and, Asian salad notwithstanding, harder yet to find one that features vegetables. Mains are less adventurous, with steak options and several fish dishes. Desserts take a nostalgic trip to the tuck shop, and include Tony’s version of a chocolate teacake and an over-the-top trifle of whipped fudge, marmalade custard and bubblegum marshmallow, all accompanied by little dishes of sweeties. The wonderful view over the Clyde and quirky styling of the restaurant makes the dining room an appealing space but the wider casino ambience is an acquired taste.
- High point: Stunning view across the river
- Low point: Light on fruit and veg
- Notable dish: Soft shell crab in a steamed Chinese bun
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mellow pop
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle