For Fika Sake
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–4pm
- Average price £7 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.fikaglasgow.com
Multi-purpose community-interest venue in Glasgow's West End serving up Swedish-inspired food.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This new community interest company has big ambitions for the future that include community activity and hosting live music events. Its cavernous interior is minimally furnished with reclaimed furniture and fittings that exude Scandi-cool. The atmosphere is relaxed and inclusive – a mixed clientele variously read, work and eat with friends – both on the ground floor and in the vast mezzanine space accessible both by stairs and newly fitted lift. The food on offer is straightforward, hearty Swedish-inspired dishes, with pickles, beetroot, smoked salmon and dill, all making an appearance on a short menu offering a couple of options for lunch. Right now, the main attraction is the coffee and cakes – coffee is Dear Green, and the cakes have an ethical backstory in line with Fika’s role as a CIC: the cinnamon buns are sourced from Freedom Bakery, a social enterprise that trains prisoners in the art of baking.
- High point: Ethical and inclusive community-oriented café
- Low point: Still in the process of finding its feet
- Notable dish: Kladdkaka (traditional Swedish mud cake)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mellow/ Ambient
- Live entertainment: future plans for ticketed live events on mezzanine level
- Capacity: 60
- Open since: 2016
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Fika och Snacka - The Glasgow Swedish Language Meetup Group
Would you like to learn Swedish? Have you learnt Swedish in the past and would like to continue? Then come along to Fika och Snacka, the brand new Meetup group for all those interested in Swedish and Sweden! The main purpose of the group is for learners of Swedish to get together to practise speaking, and also to…