Liggy's Cake Company
- Telephone 0131 332 2223
- Opening times Mon–Fri 10am–5pm; Sat 10am–4pm; Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–5pm; Sun 10am–4pm.
- Average price £4.50 (cake and coffee)
- Website www.liggyscakes.co.uk
Showroom for Liggy's spectacular wedding confections, also offering a fine sideline in cupcakes and coffee for locals.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
There are few occasions in life where cake isn’t called for: in sorrow and celebration, its sweet buttery carb-y goodness is always apposite accompaniment. So hasten to Liggy’s Cake Company, where a sugary mouthful awaits. Acting primarily as a showroom for the jaw-dropping wedding cakes baker Elizabeth Morgan confects, their Stockbridge café will nevertheless happily fulfil your desires for a prettily formed cupcake or traybake and a cup of coffee. Flavours are traditional, tried and tested pairings: chocolate, lemon & poppyseed; carrot and cream cheese; vanilla and raspberry; or millionaire’s shortbread. Sponges are light as air, decorations decidedly girly and gilded, icing a shade too sugary, but no matter: you’ll be too hyped up on sweet vibes and caffeine to care.
- High point: Carrot cake is a knockout
- Low point: Icing is decidedly pastel and frou-frou
- Notable dish: Spiced carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting
- Delivery: Depends on location
- Private dining: Does private tastings for people looking for wedding cakes or occasion cakes
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Radio 2
- Capacity: 4
- Open since: 2016