- Telephone 0131 629 5859
- Food served Mon-Thur 9am–6pm; Fri 9am–7pm; Sat/Sun 10am–7pm.
- Average price Afternoon tea £9 – cheesecake and coffee (set lunch)
Sunny new entry into Edinburgh's burgeoning boutique dessert market.
To paraphrase Woody Allen, cheesecake is a bit like sex: even when it’s bad, its pretty good. No such problem faces Mallow Valley, a bright, candy-striped café; one of several venues turning Morrison Street into one of Edinburgh’s most eclectic dining drags. Here be cheesecake in a thousand different flavours, to tickle any wanton sweet desire you might have: lime and coconut, chocolate and almond, butterscotch and Irn Bru, for the misguidedly patriotic. If you’ve just been chucked, update your Tinder profile here – hefty portions and a homemade feel to the buttery biscuit base make this the perfect destination for those needing succour. Milkshakes and hot chocolates groan with marshmallows and afternoon tea is wildly popular. Savoury items are limited to sandwiches, which are pleasant, if perfunctory, compared to the mallowy cheesecakes: definitely the main event.
- High point: It’s a suntrap on a nice day
- Low point: You may feel a shade bilious on leaving.
- Notable dish: Chocolate and almond cheesecake
Cheesecakes so deliciously naughty they make you weak in the knees, whilst you say 'ooft'.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Deliveroo - £2.50
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Radio 2
- Capacity: 12
- Largest group: 10-12
- Open since: 2015