- Telephone 01315381215
- Opening times Tue–Thu & Sun 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–11pm; Closed Mon. Closed
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 11am–9pm; Sat/Sun 11am–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.facebook.com/Wee-Buddha-pub-kitchen-1890965537795581/
Relaxed pub with Asian-inspired tapas and a well-curated selection of craft beers and wines by the glass.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Filling the gap left by Iglu, Wee Buddha opened its doors at the start of 2016. With more of an upcycle than a complete facelift, they have retained the original bar and brought modern touches through copper lighting and understated nods to the titular Buddha. The vibe is relaxed yet attentive with advice on offer to navigate the tightly curated selection of craft beers. An Asian theme runs throughout the food and cocktail list, which features ingredients such as lychees, sake and Szechuan pepper. The menu is succinct and the portions are generous. Haggis wontons are crunchy and, when matched with the Hitachino Nest rice beer, the hints of sake and berries complement and balance the intense filling. Crisp six-spice bean curd is perfectly seasoned with a subtle kick. Incredibly moreish, you could happily snack on these crisp cubes of tofu all evening. Wee Buddha already has a strong sense of self, a sort of grown-up pub that encourages you to stick around and enjoy yourself.
- High point: A proper grown-up bar
- Low point: Selection of larger dishes limited
- Notable dish: Crispy six-spice bean curd
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Blues / modern folk
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle