- Telephone 0131 560 1580
- Seasonal times Evening (8pm) licence during the festival.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat/Sun 11am–4pm
- Average price £9 (lunch)
- Website www.summerhall.co.uk/summerhall-cafe/
Arty café with a relaxed community feel and plenty of flavour.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Having expanded to take over a little more of the old Royal Dick vet school in 2015, the Summerhall Café offers a lot more than coffee and cake. The café counter and gift shop occupy one of two large, light, interconnected rooms, the other being a gallery laid out with solid wooden tables to gather round, couches to lounge on and plenty of space for mini-people to roam. The impressive range of daily specials, soups, seasonal grilled sandwiches and salads are all made in-house and offer imaginative combinations. Sandwiches come filled with the likes of honey, blue cheese, apple and walnut and salads might feature wild mushroom, chorizo and halloumi with basil garlic vinaigrette. Sourcing is thoughtful with a strong local focus: pies are delivered fresh daily by neighbour, the pie man of Summerhall, sweet offerings from Ridiculously Sticky Brownies and gluten-free choices come from Love Pure Cakes.
- High point: A menu of great variety
- Low point: Toilets could do with a lick of paint
- Private dining: 40 (booked through Summerhall Events)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classical and mixed
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 30-40
- Open since: 2015