Arty café with a relaxed community feel and plenty of flavour.
Despite the many corridors and imposing doorways in this expansive old university building, the café at Summerhall nevertheless manages to create a friendly and inviting space for lunch. The menu is equally comforting and wholesome. Fresh pies are supplied by a local business based within the building and alternative lunch options range from a chicken and chorizo salad to nachos, as well as soup and sandwich staples. Gluten-free cakes include a peach, pear and yoghurt sponge or white chocolate and raspberry. Parents with toddlers in tow are clearly attracted by the bright spacious dining area and laid-back ethos. Even dogs are welcomed with open arms. A quirky shop and an eclectic mix of shows and exhibitions create the feeling that there will always be more to discover here.
- High point: Tempting for a relaxed weekend brunch
- Low point: Cakes could be fresher
- Private dining: 40 (booked through Summerhall Events)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classical and mixed
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 30-40
- Open since: 2015