- Telephone 0131 556 3444
- Seasonal times Extended hours during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Thur 11.30am–11pm; Fri 11.30am–11.30pm; Sat 11am–11.30pm; Sun 11am–10.30pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.byronhamburgers.com
Straight-talking hamburgers, shakes and hard liquor served in understated comfort on the corner of the Royal Mile.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Byron owner Tom Byng set out to recreate the ultimate comfort of the no-fuss proper hamburgers he’d come to love in the States. As the trend for premium burgers intensifies in the UK, his second Scottish opening is entering the market already on top of its game. A prime location on the corner of the Royal Mile and a sleek refit that pays homage to the history of the old bank building it inhabits have set the tone for Byron to make good on its promise to ‘do one thing, and do it well’. The signature recipe of four cuts of British beef produces a juicy and flavor-packed burger that’s accompanied by the kind of classic condiments which really satisfy your cravings – American BBQ sauce, crisp onion rings, chipotle mayo, tangy pickles and a choice of cheeses, wrapped in a soft bun that took 38 recipe attempts to perfect. There’s a good selection for less carnivorous guests, a revolving menu of craft beers and ludicrously long milkshakes you can upgrade with bourbon, Baileys or rum.
- High point: Not a chopping board or mini galvanized bucket in sight
- Low point: Maple and salted popcorn milkshake so big it left no room for dessert
- Notable dish: Crisp, golden courgette fries, dipped in buttermilk and lightly coated in polenta
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled soulful playlist
- Capacity: 170
- Open since: 2016