- Telephone 07599 651609
- Opening times Daily: noon–10pm.
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sun 1–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.makimaki-restaurant.co.uk/maki-maki-on-nicolson-street
Diminutive spot on Nicolson Street serving traditional Japanese favourites alongside inventive 12-course tasting menu.
Sushi and sashimi made fresh to order? Absolutely. Steaming bowls of ramen served direct from the open kitchen? Yes indeedy. Omakase? Oma- what? If you manage to bag one of only ten sushi-bar stools in this Lilliputian space on Nicolson Street, then count yourself lucky. The old Japanese favourites are all there and as popular as ever but Maki Maki has a unique selling point. Edinburgh’s only ‘omakase’. This 12-course tasting menu, with optional sake pairings, is created on the spur of the moment by the head chef – and it delivers some intricate and innovative food. Sea bream sashimi is light and fresh, lent a fiery punch by the addition of grated raw wasabi. Squid nigiri is amped up with the unusual addition of fresh basil, while white tuna is served from under a smoking glass cloche for added dramatic flair. Barbecued eel is a revelation while raw scallop served with lime zest and blowtorched Japanese mayo is a stunning combination. Not every dish delivers but this is a unique dining experience in a city where they are few and far between.
- High point: An Asian dining experience like no other in the city
- Low point: Booking necessary to save disappointment
- Notable dish: Raw scallop nigiri with lime zest and blowtorched Japanese mayo
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 10
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £15.80 per bottle