- Telephone 0131 446 9873
- Opening times Mon 9am–5pm; Tues–Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 9am–5pm.
- Food served Sun/Mon 9am–3pm; Tue–Sat 9am–3pm, 5–10pm.
- Average price £12 (soup + sandwich); £20 (evening meal)
- Website thebirchwood.co.uk
Marchmont café newcomer whose bright, fresh interior showcases a strong breakfast and brunch menu and appealing dinner offer.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Confidently striding onto the Marchmont café scene, new arrival Wild Wood has hit the ground running. The bright, fresh interior, with its powder blue pastel tones and woodland scene graphics, has a good daytime vibe and strives hard to generate a touch of evening candlelit charm. Owner Emma leads a friendly front of house, pitching in with her signature raspberry and white chocolate cake, washed down with coffee from Stockbridge’s Mr Eion. A strong breakfast and brunch offer features blueberry and coconut pancakes, caramel sauce-drenched French toast and popular eggs benedict with smoky bacon and sriracha hollandaise. The lunch menu matches vegetarian-friendly soups to sourdough open sandwiches, packed with smoked mackerel pâté and apple salsa, or ham and cheese rarebit with caramelised onions. The skilful kitchen takes a mid-afternoon breather before re-emerging with an appealing dinner menu, showcasing smoked haddock risotto and duck breast with pak-choi and star anise jus. With a loyal local crowd to satisfy, Wild Wood is showing early signs that it may be packing just enough breakfast, lunch and evening punch.
- High point: Great brunch menu and appealing evening offer
- Low point: Room still feels at its best during the day
- Notable dish: Eggs benedict with smoky bacon, black pudding and sriracha hollandaise
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled out tunes – old school Motown and blues in evening
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: August 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16 per bottle