This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 339 5068
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri & Sat noon–midnight; Sun 10am–11pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.45pm
- Average price £13 (lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.meathookglasgow.co.uk
American BBQ diner and grill at the bottom of Byres Road serving superior burgers, dogs, deli sandwiches and sides
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
All faux-authentic Americana memorabilia from retro Coca-Cola adverts to a fake taxidermied buffalo head, the unimaginatively catalogue-picked décor at this BBQ diner and grill belies the quality of the cooking. What’s going on in the kitchen proves far more compelling a reason to visit newcomer Meathook, which is based adjacent to the foot of Byres Road in the former premises of the Butterfly and the Pig and Pop-Up Pig. They don’t go in for starters as such, just finger-licking bites to get you going including spicy buffalo chicken wings and deep-fried dill pickles. A bit of pulled-porkery is par for the course, but Meathook do it much better than most, with tender strands of smoky pig meat loaded onto a soft brioche bun together with crunchy, tangy North Carolina slaw. The crispy French fries are a cut above, too. From the grill, go for the sourpuss lemon chicken and smoked bacon skewers with green beans and sweet tomato dip – a zesty, summery dish full of flavours. The hot aspect is mysteriously missing from the hot chocolate fudge sundae, but the chunky milk chocolate drops give it satisfying crunch.
- High point: One bite of that chicken skewer and you will literally be hooked
- Low point: £4.50 for small bottles and cans of American craft beers
- Notable dish: Sourpuss lemon chicken and smoked bacon skewers with green beans and sweet tomato dip
At Meathook we take great pride in our work, meticulously crafting the food we serve. Some would say it's a labour of love.
From the hand-crafted mustards, ketchup & relishes, the bespoke blend of 100% Scotch Beef we use in our classic burgers, to the unique flavours we create in our woodchip smoker with American southern-style BBQ rubs & spices. Everything is prepared with the utmost care & attention.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 120 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Johnny Cash, Paolo Nutini, northern soul
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri and Sat nights
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £16 per bottle