- Telephone 0141 882 1144
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.45pm, 5–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–9.30pm; Sun noon–8.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 5–9pm; Fri/Sat 3–7pm; Sun 3–8.30pm
- Average price £6.50 (set lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.50
- Website www.bellavitaglasgow.co.uk
People are flocking to this excellent trattoria in Glasgow's Southside for great food and friendly service.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Walking in early to this Southside Italian, it's charming to see the chattering team gathered around reception and, after saying a warm hello, they quickly disperse reassuringly ready to start evening service. Traditional, dark red walls with celebrity and celebratory photos, bistro tables and chairs serve to create an intimacy and informality increasingly hard to find. Service is charming, while the food charms – the Italian sausage penne with a creamy tomato sauce has just the right spice, spiked with the considered addition of very finely chopped, cored tomatoes. The bresaola with rocket and soft mozzarella is extemely satisfying, arriving with delicious toasted Italian bread, while fusilli contandina confirms the care taken over pasta dishes by a deft kitchen. Portions are generous, enough to warrant tempting offers to package what's left of the pasta for enjoyment at home. This is an affordable place that suits every reason for dining out, meaning why wouldn't you keep coming back if it's a really good, honest tratorria you're looking for? It’s a place locals are proud to have close by, and for those further afield it's definitely worth a trip.
- High point: A place to relax and enjoy great Italian food
- Low point: A (worthwhile) trip for many
- Notable dish: Penne with Italian sausage and creamy tomato sauce
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian traditional and pop
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 15-20
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle