- Telephone 0131 466 9992
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–5pm.
- Seasonal times Mon/Sun 11–8pm; dates tbc
- Food served Tues–Sun 11am–5pm; closed Mon.
- Average price £9 (lunch)
The latest addition to Bruntsfield; small contemporary café specialising in savoury cheese and sweet Nutella-filled melts.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Think cheese. Lots of gooey mature cheddar and gruyère, oozing out of fresh sourdough bread. Meltmongers is serious about all things melted. With a minimalist interior and only eighteen covers, this American-inspired cafe keeps proceedings intimate and incredibly friendly. The grilled cheese concept evolves: from the cheddar-filled classic; to melts crammed with brie and caramelised onions; and lemony grilled chicken and Jarlsberg. Plans are in place to introduce a breakfast menu, and their range of fried desserts feature the meltmallow: a Nutella, banana and marshmallow sandwich of dreams. These can be washed down with Hershey's chocolate milk and Karma Cola’s Fairtrade sodas.
- High point: A quick, stop-by lunch
- Low point: Realising your homemade toasties will always disappoint in comparison
- Notable dish: The King is dead: peanut butter and banana fried sandwich with nutella
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Everything, mainly acoustic.
- Capacity: 18
- Open since: 2015