- Telephone 0141 221 6272
- Opening times Mon–Fri 10am–11pm; Sat & Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–11pm; Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.caurestaurants.com
CAU specialises in Argentine steaks, served in a relaxed and casual, yet stylish and sleek dining room.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Inspired by the ‘passion and vitality’ of Buenos Aires, CAU is part of a chain with branches in London and Amsterdam, decorated in a sleek and modern style with large windows looking out on to the twinkling lights of Royal Exchange Square and Ingram Street. Try the hummus, served with crispbreads and deliciously rich aubergine caviar, chilli and roasted nuts. The salt and pepper squid and chipotle mayonnaise is a less impressive starter, a tad unctuous. But the steaks are where this place really excels – and what you should be coming for. There’s Aberdeen Angus rump, ribeye, medallions and sirloin – or splash out on the feasting plate of speciality cuts for £84.95. It’s not really aimed at vegetarians but beetroot ravioli with goat’s cheese is a rich option – and pescatarians can go for the enjoyable Catalan fish stew. The drinks menu ranges from milkshakes and smoothies to cocktails and wine, divided into ‘nice’ and ‘very nice’, with some made especially for CAU – and it can’t be every dessert menu that has a cornflake ice-cream sundae on it, a must try.
- High point: Top-notch steak
- Low point: Can feel a bit corporate
- Notable dish: Catalan fish stew with mussels, clams, prawns, squid and flaked pollock
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Upbeat and lively pop, house and Latin beats
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 22
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle