Rigatoni's by the King's
- Telephone 0131 228 6694
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–11pm; Sun 1–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Fri 5–6pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.rigatonis.co.uk
Cool, sleek Tollcross newcomer combines traditional Italian favourites with a touch of invention.
Entering the low-lit, cool, sleek interior of Rigatoni’s by the King’s, you’re met with songs of Italian crooners over the stereo. The younger sibling to the well-loved Rigatoni’s by the Queen’s (Hall), this new Italian entry to Tollcross hits many of the right notes with neatly priced weekday lunch and pre-theatre menus and an evening menu that combines traditional favourites with a touch of invention. To start, hefty gamberoni piccante, vermillion in their wine, tomato and chilli-doused shells, might be slightly messy work but worth it. Spaghetti con vongole, laden with delicate little clams nestled in white shells, are sea briny fresh. Yes, there’s good pizza to be found but also succulent veal scallopine blanketed in a creamy sauce thick with mushrooms. Branzino all’ acqua pazza practically engulfs its plate, its fillet of pan-fried sea bass vying with langoustine, prawns, mussels and clams for space and attention. Daily-made panacotta, tiramisu and cheesecake rewards clean-plate club finalists.
- High point: Beautifully executed dishes fill the menu
- Low point: Daily-made tiramisu goes quickly
- Notable dish: Branzino all' acqua pazza
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian-American crooners
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle