Gizzi Espresso Bar
- Telephone 0141 632 1224
- Food served Mon–Sat 7am–5.30pm; Sun 9am–5.30pm
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
After a dramatic refurb in 2015, this Shawlands institution has a chic interior to match its Italian coffee and street food.
The coffee at Gizzi’s Espresso Bar is renowned among locals in Shawlands, and the owners here know many of those customers by name. The small and cosy setting, high ceiling and original features give it a distinct elegance making it a suitable spot to enjoy a glass of wine as much as a macchiato. The baristas – brothers Francesco and Marco – are perfectionists in the art of coffee making; a perfectly sized flat white arrives with a delicately drawn swan on top, and is delicious accompanied with a pistachio aragostine (a flaky pastry with a creamy filling). If it’s lunch you’re after, there’s an extensive menu featuring homemade lasagne and made-to-order sandwiches on a bread of your choosing. Takeaway is popular, too – but don’t expect fast food: pizzas and pastas are all made from scratch.
- High point: Quality ingredients
- Low point: Often a queue for takeaway coffee
- Notable dish: Lasagne
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Mellow
- Capacity: 25
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle