Gizzi Espresso Bar
- Telephone 0141 632 1224
- Food served Mon–Sat 7am–5.30pm; Sun 9am–5.30pm
After a dramatic refurb in 2015, this Shawlands institution has a chic interior to match its Italian coffee and street food.
Five minutes’ talking with Marisa Wylie, Gizzi’s ambitious director, and it becomes clear that the success of this small but beautiful Italian diner in the heart of Shawlands is all part of a strategic plan to bring the modern dining vibe with an Italian twist to the Southside. Straddling the fine line between cafe and restaurant, Gizzi’s is the place to go for inventive breakfasts, gourmet sandwiches such as the Parmigiana with breaded chicken breast, sugo, mozzarella and basil, all washed down with a range of coffees prepared by the barista recently acknowledged as the best Italian coffee-maker in Scotland. Furthermore, Marisa’s eye for excellence has identified local home-baker Carina Jensen of Dixie Bakers, whose skills contribute to the eye-catching and ever-changing display of cakes and bakes – the layered malteser, chocolate, salted caramel and shortbread slice is irresistible. Freshly prepared and hand-stretched on a daily basis the pizza dough emerges from the specialist stone-base oven as a crunchy yet billowy foundation for plentiful toppings on a homemade sugo – the Inferno with Italian sausage, salami and chili is particularly delicious.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Mellow pop
- Capacity: 25 
- Largest group: 16, only in evening as special event
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3 single serve
- House wine: Single serve bottles, approx £4 per bottle