- Telephone 0141 339 5575
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 10.30am–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat noon–6pm
- Average price £19 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17
- Website 1051gwr.co.uk
Upscale pub grub and craft beers at JJ Burnett’s handsome, category B-listed former Kelvinside railway station building.
Popular with Kelvindale locals thanks to its informal, hospitable atmosphere and impressive selection of Scottish beers, this spacious bistro-grill caters for an array of patrons with its wide-ranging menu. To start, scallops from Oban with their sharp, heady black pudding and contrasting sweet apple sauce are an indication of 1051 GWR's commitment to using the best of Scottish produce, while the buffalo mozzarella, drizzled with a basil vinaigrette and tossed with sweet cherry tomatoes is simple, summery and fresh. The mains focus on a large selection from the grill, including favourites like lamb cutlets and gammon steaks. Other main options include pub favourites such as pizzas, pastas, burgers and steak and ale pie with comfortingly tender chunks of beef and plenty of gravy in which to dip the accompanying fluffy and crispy beef dripping chips. To finish, there are a number of interesting desserts on offer, including homemade coffee donuts – sweet and lively with their espresso Anglaise and Frangelico panacotta.
- High point: Beef dripping chips and an immense range of Scottish beers
- Low point: Bit draughty near the door
- Notable dish: Beef dripping fries
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: jazz
- Live entertainment: Open mic night every second monday
- Capacity: 99
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle