Café Strange Brew
- Telephone 0141 237 4321
- Food served Mon–Sat 8.30am-5pm; Sun 9.30am–4pm
- Average price £8 (lunch)
Shawlands newbie with with contemporary, vegan-friendly brunches and possibly the best flat white south of the river
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
‘Keep Shawlands Strange’ is the mantra of this Pollokshaws Road newcomer –and its chef-created dishes certainly sets it far beyond the ‘tray bake and panini’ menus of many of its fellow neighbourhood cafés. Smoked chilli hollandaise and spicy shakshuka baked eggs with labneh yogurt are the stand-out from the brunch offerings, while the short and smart house favourites selection offers a molten macaroni and cheese with optional bacon crumb, and goat’s cheese salad with candied walnut and beetroot. Vegans are well catered for with their own breakfast plate of roast tomatoes, tahini, avocado and black sesame, plus the chance to indulge their sweet tooth with a dairy-free empire biscuit. While dishes sometimes promise more than they deliver – the chicken sandwich is fairly workaday – this is a very welcome addition to the burgeoning Southside food scene.
- High point: Creative vegan breakfast plate
- Low point: Mac and cheese arrived missing bacon crumb
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 16 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2015