Café Strange Brew
- Telephone 0141 237 4321
- Food served Tue–Sat 9am–4.30pm; Sun 9.30am–3.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
Friendly and funky Shawlands café with inventive cooking, vegan-friendly brunches, and some of the best coffee south of the river.
If by strange brew they mean a fiercely good cup of joe, Café Strange Brew hits the nail on the head. Such is the popularity of this little place at Shawlands Cross that it is relocating to larger premises directly across the road. Hopefully the new venue will carry on with what has made Strange Brew special: the friendly, funky atmosphere, the coffee, and the food. Poached eggs with smashed avocado, hot-smoked salmon and chili hollandaise or baked eggs with garlicky labneh yoghurt and chilli oil, perfect for scooping up with pitta bread, all stand out from an imaginative menu, featuring a full vegan breakfast and a Spanish twist on croque monsieur, with chorizo and manchego cheese. Tempting cakes sit on the counter, with gluten-free and vegan sweet things always available, but you can’t really beat a salted caramel brownie with a good cup of coffee.
- High point: Black coffee that's strong and delicious
- Low point: Hope they keep it up in the new premises
- Notable dish: That Guy!
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk & soul
- Capacity: 16 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2015