Bar à Vin
- Telephone 0131 226 1890
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Sat noon–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Sat noon–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price Large cheese, saucisson or ham boards £25–£45; regular £15–£25 (lunch); Large cheese, saucisson or ham boards £25–£45; regular £15–£25 (evening meal)
- Website www.lescargotblanc.co.uk
The ground floor of the West End's L'Escargot Blanc restaurant reconfigured as a high-end stop for authentic French wine, cheese and charcuterie.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Bar à Vin represents a change of pace for L’Escargot Blanc, the West End sister of Broughton Street’s L’Escargot Bleu. The restaurant remains upstairs and the lower floor has been reconfigured into a more informal bar space, a rustic drinking and dining area with suspended glass lights, classic French posters and a homely old wooden bar along one side of the room. Service is casual but friendly, and happy to engage in knowledgeable descriptions of both the food and the drink, both of which are reasons to make a destination of the place even if you’re not dining upstairs. The wine list is excellent and worthy of continued exploration, with 32 French reds, whites, rosés, sweet wines and champagnes available by the glass, while the highlights of the food menu are the boards of fragrant cheeses and fresh saucisson, the latter sourced in France and Scotland. Foie gras, pâtés and artisan Breton sardines with a variety of flavourings (including wasabi, chilli and peanut oil) complete an experience which is reassuringly authentic.
- High point: Authentically French, not least in the quality of the cheese and wine
- Low point: Feels less like a bar than a high-end cafe with evening service
- Notable dish: Mixed cheese and charcuterie board
A charming and relaxing retreat in the heart of Edinburgh’s vibrant West end area. Nestling beneath L’Escargot Blanc on Queensferry Street it’s an ideal place to chill out over a glass of wine, a beer or a coffee. We provide a delicious range of platters and light nibbles including our incredibly popular French Cheese selection – or Charcuterie. We Offer over 40 wines by the glass that makes it a unique drinking experience for novice or the more discerning wine lover. Staffs are friendly and knowledgeable.
Warm and welcoming, a great place to enjoy an after work drink, while away the evening with a few friends, or round off the day in a most relaxing and friendly atmosphere.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 30
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 23
- House wine: £19.90 per bottle