Virginia Bar & Rotisserie
- Telephone 0141 553 2326
- Bar open Mon–Sun 5pm-midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun 5–9pm
- Average price £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.virginiabar.co.uk
Merchant City bar welcoming you to the wide and wonderful world of gin.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Following on from the success of Gin 71 in the city centre, this latest outing from the Cup stable is somewhere between speakeasy and a late-night bar. Slatted blinds and muted wooden tones create a hushed and secretive atmosphere punctuated by the quiet murmur of table-talk around the room. Although principally a home for lovers of the juniper berry and its botanical companions, the cocktail menu does offer whisky and vodka based creations to broaden the spectrum. Gin and tonics arrive in curvaceous glasses on delicate stems, containing top-quality gins from Arbikie and Daffy’s, leading lights in the recent renaissance of Scottish gin-making. A curiously advised pairing with rotisserie chicken is not a complete success, making repeat visits here more likely to be to work through those wonderful gins than the menu.
- High point: Outstanding G&T
- Low point: Food lets the side down
- Notable dish: Rotisserie chicken
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Open since: 2015