- Telephone 0131 466 9851
- Bar open Wed–Sun noon–1am
- Food served Wed–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–9.30pm; Sat/Sun noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £18.50 (set lunch); £30 for 5 plates; £45 for 7 plates; £55 for 10 plates (set evening meal)
- Website www.seasonstasting.co.uk
Top-notch ingredients plus inventive cooking equals memorable food at this innovative New Town Scottish-Scandi restaurant.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Opening at the tail-end of 2015, Seasons is further evidence of the ongoing reinvention of the capital’s Scottish restaurant scene. There’s no haggis, neeps and tatties on the menu here: only fresh, seasonal ingredients sourced from small suppliers and foragers in Scotland and Scandinavia. These are all listed on a neat little scroll, from which Swedish chef Alex delivers ever-changing five, seven or ten course tasting menus, with inventive drink pairings an optional extra. The Scandi influence isn’t limited to the kitchen; the restaurant itself is, by design, floor to ceiling pine. (You expect at any moment to be smacked with a handful of birch twigs.) ‘Toast skagen’ – salty smoked shrimp with pickled red onion, garlic aioli, sourdough crisps and a playful dill meringue is a triumph, an additional fishy hit delivered by a smattering of herring roe, while seared hand-dived scallops combine harmoniously with spiced lentils, squash, crispy seaweed and foraged sea herbs. White chocolate ganache and a delicate red wine-poached pear nestle within a bed of almost savoury pomegranate and seed granola to produce another in a procession of inventive, enticing dishes.
- High point: A genuinely exciting culinary experience
- Low point: You'll be too full for a nightcap in the basement bar
- Notable dish: Smoked shrimp, garlic aoili, sourdough crisp, pickled red onion, herring roe, dill meringue
Seasons Restaurant & Bar is the creation of Matthew Urry and we believe passionately in seasonal produce, sourced locally from Scotland and from Scandinavia.
Seasons is not your traditional a la carte restaurant and looks to expand the culinary horizons of our customers. When you sit down to your table you will be presented with a list of the finest seasonal ingredients which our founder and executive chef Matthew Urry has put together with our head chef Alexander Dusak.
Wine & food are a match made in heaven, we truly live and breath the European ethos of every dish should be paired to wine/cocktail/beer. We here at Seasons are truly lucky to have some of the sharpest wine and drink minds in Edinburgh. Our Sommelier and Restaurant Manager James Paulin is a great lover of wine & food and with over 10 years in hospitality in some of Edinburgh's best restaurants. James and the kitchen team will take you on a journey through flavours married in heaven.
We ask for you to put your trust in our ethos and our team to produce something special, fresh and seasonal. This will be an experience you will not forget in a hurry and hopefully you will fall in love with new produce and of course us.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Live entertainment: Live music occasionally in the speakeasy bar downstairs
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2015