Chequers Cocktail House & Grill
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 237 4471
- Opening times Daily: 10am–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sunday 11am–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 11am–10pm
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.chequersglasgow.co.uk
This West End newcomer has got pretty much everything spot on, from the speakeasy design to cutting-edge cocktails and an impressive great-value menu.
The soft glow of its red lights will likely make it too enticing to pass by this Great Western Road venue, and anyone who does walk past is making a terrible mistake. With the lighting and music both pitched perfectly it’s easy to get comfortable in the well-designed small space with a mezzanine and homely outdoor spot extending its capacity. Cocktails are the big draw from a bespoke menu running to six pages. A marmalade-infused Mojito exemplifies the mixologists' imagination, and the range of martinis could have Bond pondering his options. The menu doesn't have the same imagination as the drinks, but the quality is up there. An all-American cheeseburger is refined, though better suited to a bottle of craft beer than a cocktail, while crab cakes are so packed they're bursting out of their breadcrumbs. Whether dinner, drinks or Sunday brunch, Chequers has it licked.
- High point: Exemplary cocktails
- Low point: Knowing you can't try every cocktail
- Notable dish: The All American cheeseburger
Chequers is a speakeasy-styled cocktail bar and restaurant situated in Glasgow's West End. We offer a full range of hand-picked wines, spirits and beers alongside our list of 22 signature cocktails. We're open from 10am serving coffee and our fantastic brunch menu.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 60s / indie
- Live entertainment: Quiz, Open Mic nights
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle