Moon & Hare
Vegan and gluten-free café in Bruntsfield demonstrates that healthy plant-based fare need not be unappetising or dull.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Some would have you believe vegan, veggie and gluten-free food is earnest, boring and bland: lunching at Moon and Hare proves they couldn’t be more wrong. The flavours fairly pop from salads, wraps, cakes and smoothies, while owner and chef Shannon Denson is a breath of fresh air, determined to make healthy eating pleasurable. A colourful, flavoursome salad, like the quinoa, cucumber, radish and pomegranate, is almost fluffy in its lightness but still has some crunch. Broccoli, almond and cranberry, has a mellow sweetness and tang. Particularly delicious is a Tuscan wrap of cannellini beans, spinach, sun-dried tomato, olives and pesto, which softly melds together without losing distinction of ingredients. Cakes are gluten-free but still open and light, while smoothies range from virtuous to just plain yummy (and happily don’t fall back on lots of banana). A delicious addition to the neighbourhood.
- High point: Healthiness rarely tastes this good
- Low point: Not open in the evenings
- Notable dish: Tuscan wrap
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix
- Live entertainment: Every second month will put on a 4-course evening meal with live music - started on the 1st Dec.
- Capacity: 28
- Open since: 2015