Moon & Hare
- Telephone 0131 228 9250
- Opening times Tue–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat & Sun 9.30am–5pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Sun–Fri 9am–5pm; Sat 9am–6pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.moonandhare.co.uk
The flavours fairly pop from salads, wraps, cakes and smoothies in this peppy new Bruntsfield café.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Some would have you believe vegan, veggie and gluten-free food is earnest, boring and bland: lunching at Moon and Hare proves they couldn’t be more wrong. The flavours fairly pop from salads, wraps, cakes and smoothies, while owner and chef Shannon Denson is a breath of fresh air, determined to make healthy eating pleasurable. A colourful, flavoursome salad, like the quinoa, cucumber, radish and pomegranate, is almost fluffy in its lightness but still has some crunch. Broccoli, almond and cranberry, has a mellow sweetness and tang. Particularly delicious is a Tuscan wrap of cannellini beans, spinach, sun-dried tomato, olives and pesto, which softly melds together without losing distinction of ingredients. Cakes are gluten-free but still open and light, while smoothies range from virtuous to just plain yummy (and happily don’t fall back on lots of banana). A delicious addition to the neighbourhood.
- High point: Healthiness rarely tastes this good
- Low point: Not open in the evenings
- Notable dish: Tuscan wrap
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indy folk
- Capacity: 24
- Open since: 2015