Moon & Hare
This restaurant has ceased trading.
Vegan and gluten-free café in Bruntsfield demonstrates that healthy plant-based fare need not be unappetising or dull.
This all vegan and gluten-free café in Bruntsfield demonstrates that healthy plant-based fare need not be unappetising or dull. All-day breakfast and lunch menus offer an appealing array of hot/cold, and sweet/savoury options, served in a lighthearted space featuring mismatched furniture, coloured paper lanterns and neutral tones. Both savoury and sweet waffles (with optional Booja Booja vegan ice-cream) come strongly recommended. The 'socca waffle' is particularly good – chickpea flour waffles spiced with turmeric and cumin, come topped with a flavoursome olive and caper tapenade, rocket leaves and tomatoes. The cakes, some supplied by Edinburgh’s reputable Archipelago Bakery, are just as good. A bittersweet dark chocolate and beetroot sponge smothered in creamy vegan butter icing, with zesty orange, complements a smooth hazelnut milk flat white. While portions are generous, devouring every last bit is no hardship, but that’s okay when it’s healthy, right?
- High point: Sweet and savoury waffles
- Low point: Dry and crumbly falafel
- Notable dish: Socca waffle
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix
- Live entertainment: Every second month will put on a 4-course evening meal with live music - started on the 1st Dec.
- Capacity: 28
- Open since: 2015