- Telephone 0131 557 5246
- Opening times Sun–Wed 10am–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Sun–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight.
- Average price £5.95 (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12
- Website www.tuttomatto.co.uk
Travel the world one slice at a time in this Southside pizzeria.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
From a suitably modern, spacious shopfront in the Southside of Edinburgh, Tutto Matto wants to take you 'round the world in 22 pizzas' - a feat which is accomplished well through an ambitious, wide-reaching menu. Some of the more classic pizzas here are named after Italian cities (the Milano has salami and mozzarella, the Salcissia has spicy sausage and chilli paste), and these work as a solid, familiar base on an inventive menu which features some unusual choices. The Amalfi, for example, has white pizza sauce with scampi, squid and crab, while the Marrakech has cumin and cinnamon-infused tomato sauce with spiced merguez sausage, herbed goat’s cheese and chillis. Of course, the Edinburgh has a good helping of haggis, ye ken? It's a bold menu, but they pull it off well with good-quality ingredients (all pizza sauce is made from San Marzano region tomatoes). If pizza isn't your thing, there's a fairly standard burger and pasta selection, though you'd be missing out on the pull of this place: good quality pizza that dares to experiment beyond the traditional.
- High point: Interesting pizza options
- Low point: Starters aren't very inspired
- Notable dish: Amalfi Pizza
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Open since: 2015