Burr & Co
- Telephone 0131 240 7166
- Food served Mon–Sat 7–10.30am, 11am–7pm; Sun 8–10.30am, 11am–7pm.
- Average price £5 (takeaway deal)
- Website www.theburrandco.co.uk
A continental-style café, providing an informal yet classy breakfast, lunch and coffee spot on Edinburgh’s George Street.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
As part of the George Hotel, Burr & Co, a continental-style café, provides an informal yet classy breakfast, lunch and coffee spot on Edinburgh’s George Street. Sharing its kitchen with the hotel’s in-house restaurant, the Printing Press Bar and Kitchen, customers can enjoy high quality, yet reasonably priced, sweet and savoury treats. Wood-panelled walls, mosaic flooring and marble-topped tables provide a setting akin to a Viennese café. A healthy quinoa and bulgur wheat salad balances sweet raisins with salty capers and black olives, alongside tomatoes, pine nuts and beetroot. To follow, an irresistible lemon meringue pie, with thin and crisp pastry, is filled with zingy and velvety smooth lemon curd, which beautifully offsets the sweet marshmallow-like meringue. An almond milk cappuccino, prepared with Caravan coffee, is smooth and creamy with good depth of flavour. If time is not on your side, worry not; all the delights are available for takeaway.
- High point: Exceptionally good baked goods
- Low point: A bit cramped and noisy when busy
- Notable dish: Lemon Meringue Pie
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: From indie to jazz and classical depending on the time of day
- Capacity: 42 (12 outdoors)
- Open since: 2015